Frugal "Friday" - The First Full Week of March 2019


No, we didn't dye Easter Eggs today - that will happen in April.  I was going through the photos in my folders on my computer and thought the colors in the egg dye are so pretty!  Ignore the rest of the mess, please....

I am making plans for Easter this year already.  When you are a Pastor's family, Lent, Holy Week and Easter seem terribly long and difficult.  It seems that the Evil One pulls out all the stops to try to make everything stressful.  It seems like there are more funerals, more interpersonal conflict, and all those types of things along with more worship and more events than at other times of the year.  This is also the time when the flu and cold season is in full swing and the weather is having one last hurrah as well.  As of right now, we have had rain for the last 3 hours and not it is snowing.  That means very slippery roads tomorrow.  I dislike driving anyway so that makes me nervous. 

Anyway, that's not what this post is supposed to be about!  It is supposed to be about all the things we did this last week that were frugal!  So, here goes:

*  We made two types of soup, chili, biscuits, pizza, pancakes and muffins at home this week.

* John brought home a package of dessert bars from a parishioner.  This dear woman loves to bake and loves to share.  They were delicious!  And a wonderful treat from what I would normally bake.

* The children sorted through their outgrown toys and the art supplies.  We have two large boxes to donate - one to the children's school and one to the local second-hand store.  More space in our house for free!

* I tidied a box of sewing notions that had become very disorganized. I found the elastic I need to finish a project - I knew I had it someplace, but wasn't sure where.  Taking time to organize the box meant I did not need to spend money.

* Our daughter used fabric scraps and a button from my button jar to sew a dress for one of her dolls.

* We returned several books and three DVD's to the library and checked out one book and 2 DVD's to watch this week.

* Our daughter and I painted our toenails and I painted her fingernails using polish we already had.

* I worked on embroidery for a gift using items I already owned.

* John and I had a date walking around a local store while the children were at dance class  gathering ideas for a future kitchen remodel .  We spent nothing and had a lovely time dreaming and gathering ideas.  We will work on the planning and saving process for a while and then (hopefully!) remodel our 1958 kitchen!

* We used a coupon to purchase Easter candy for the children's Easter baskets.  I have one more items I will pick up for each basket and then this shopping is done!

* I mended a blouse, a pair of pants and a pair of exercise pants. 

* We continue to shovel our own snow and rake the snow off our own roof, saving us quite a bit at hiring someone else do it for us.

What frugal things did you do this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020