Frugal, er, Sunday



I'm not sure what we'd do without Lego at our house - these provide hours of entertainment to all four of us and I'm so grateful that we have so much fun with something so simple!

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted a Frugal Friday post - I'm writing more on that tomorrow - but for now for the frugal things in the last couple of weeks.

*  Picked three butternut squash and three acorn squash plus a bunch of tomatoes from our yard this week.   I set the green tomatoes out to ripen indoors.  We have had frost a couple of nights and I don't want to loose that many tomatoes!

* Received a bonus box from our CSA containing green peppers, a butternut squash and pears.  YAY!

* Enjoyed a free lunch at work one day - delicious food!  We're so spoiled - the chef at work is fantastic.    A co-worker brought in a loaf of homemade zucchini bread for snacks a couple of days this week as well.

* The children have an hour a week at church for their classes this year at a time when John and I don't have anything else going on.  That gives John and I an hour each week where we have child-free time to have a short date at home.  We've enjoyed having the time to build an even stronger relationship!  We've gone for walks and spent some time just sitting at home with hot chocolate talking and dreaming and problem solving.
 
* Picked zinnias, snap dragons and Shasta daisies from our yard for our kitchen table and to give to our secretary at work.

* Other than groceries and gas, we have bought only a bottle of Advil and 3 bottles of stain stick, which gave us a $5 Target gift card back.  Having a 10-year-old boy, I consider stain stick a necessity!  And three bottles will last us a while. 

* Made turkey soup using a turkey carcass from the freezer. 

* Made vegetable stock which I then froze using leftover vegetables and then the celery leaves I had in the freezer. 

* Decorated for fall using decorations we already had and that my daughter made from our craft supplies.  She's so creative!  I love it. 

* Started working on the sewn Christmas gifts that I'm making this year.  I'm hoping to do a separate post on these later this fall. 

* Started deadheading the plants in the yard to get them ready for fall. 

* John and the children attended a friend's wedding and brought home chocolates and snack mix - both of which were the favors for the wedding.  They had a terrific time! 

* We have been doing a LOT of cleaning out in preparation for a garage sale later this month.  We're hoping to make enough money to pay off a couple of medical bills.  With the sheer volume of "stuff" we have, I'm hoping that will be the case.  And it means a cleaner and easier to care for house for us. Win-win all the way around!

What frugal things have you done the last few weeks?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020