I started the 30 Day Shred a week ago last Wednesday - two weeks ago tomorrow.
OH MY LAND.
Jillian does pack quite the punch. The workout is a real workout - no ifs, ands or 'butts' about it! I can feel it. And I really felt it the first week - so much so I ended up with a knot in my left calf the size of a ping pong ball ( you could actually see it!). Jillian combined with a new killer leg routine at Jazzercise was apparently just too much for my little legs to contend with.
Anyway, I'm plugging away at it - so far it's been Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I haven't hit a Saturday yet, though part of me would like to. I go to Jazzercise Tuesday and Thursday. That gives me 5 workouts a week. And since I'm not trying to "Shred" myself, just get more fit and add in extra workout time, I'm expecting to see "Shred" results at the end of the month.
So here's the run down according to me of the 30 Day Shred (all opinions are 100% mine and completely unsolicited!):
Things I like about the 30 Day Shred:
* It's a real workout! For 20 minutes, that's pretty impressive.
* The moves are familiar to me - we do almost all of them at Jazzercise!
* That there are 3 different difficulty levels.
* I was noticeably sore after doing this workout. It means I'm using muscles in ways I normally don't. And that's a good thing.
Things I don't like about the 30 Day Shred:
* Jumping Jacks and Butt Kicks (and other high impact activities!). Seriously Jillian, if you're goal is to get our heart rate up (which I believe it is) there are 1000 other ways to do it - without the impact! You can't modify these without losing the heart rate increase and they are terrible for your knees and hips if you're overweight! Please pick something else!
* Jillian herself. Sorry Jillian. Your attitude bothers me. Maybe I'm too used to perky, upbeat and encouraging people - not "Kick your butt because your big rear needs it" kind of people. Beating me up is not the way to motivate me. And I don't think it is for many other people either. I get that you were once huge yourself and have no sympathy for 'fat' people. I just don't think it's necessary to treat people like they're in boot camp to get results.
* That I have to watch the little "Here's how this DVD works" intro every single time. My DVD player won't let me skip it (I think it's the DVD, not my player).
Overall, it's a good workout and I'm sticking with it. Though I am looking forward to meeting my goal in November and being able to order my Jazzercise DVD with a 30 minute workout on it. :)
Have you tried the 30 Day Shred? What do you think?