After spending the first part of summer teaching, the middle part working to get my health and energy back, I've been spending the last few weeks catching up on all the things that needed to be done. I feel like we have been terribly busy. I know that's not necessarily true but it feels that way. Since I haven't posted a Frugal Friday for quite a while, I am going to just start with this past week on frugal things we've done.
Here we go!
* Ate all meals but one at home.
* Attended a taco buffet pot luck for one meal. We brought shredded cheese from the freezer.
* Harvested tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and peppers from the garden this week.
* Hemmed five new pairs of pants for my son for school this fall. I found that if I order them on clearance sale in June unhemmed, I save a large amount of money and I can hem a double hem that can be let down later.
* I blanched and froze beans, corn, and cabbage.
* I used items we had on hand too fix a curtain rod.
Some of the flowers from my garden last summer - I'm so looking forward to more this summer!
It was a very odd week - we started with Martin Luther King Jr Day on Monday and our daughter and I fighting a bad head cold, Missy was better Tuesday but I was not, and then I felt like we were trying to catch up all the rest of the week. I was a bit relieved that it was Friday today!
We had several just unpleasant things going on this week but we did a very nice job of being fairly frugal - it's easy to not spend money when you're home sick, I guess. Either way, it ended up being a reasonable week all the way around and we're looking forward to a quiet week at home and some extra rest before all the activities start to ramp up next week.
Here are some frugal things we did this week:
* We made two types of soup, biscuits, and waffles at home this week.
* John brought home leftover chicken noodle soup (homemade) and cookies from a church event. We used those for lunch and t…
My children at the beach this past summer. John and I have been planning a real Summer Holiday for this year. My parents are celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary and we're celebrating our 20th, so we all decided we need to take a Holiday together. We're pretty excited!
It is COLD here again - the temperature this morning was listed at -12F (-24.44C). Early this week it was almost +40F (4.4C). It almost felt like spring was on it's way. Of course, it's way too early for that but we enjoyed the short warm-up and are now bundled back up for the weekend again. I deliberately went and ran errands yesterday Friday evening so I don't have to venture out on Saturday if I don't want to.
Here are some things that we have done this past week (Saturday 1/6 to Friday 1/12):
* At home we made soup, bread, pancakes, and muffins.
* I enjoyed treats - muffins, fruit, cookies - and a very delicious lunch at a workshop this week. There was way too much food for lunch an…