Frugal "Friday" - Week of May 31, 2020


One of the peonies from my garden this week - so pretty!
;
This week was such a strange week.  I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota and George Floyd's funeral was this week.  I spent a lot of this past week quiet, doing not much other than work and time with family. With everything going on in the world - specifically Coivd-19 and the events around Mr. Floyd's death - I believe it is a very good time to reflect and think. In addition to all this, work is taking an inordinate amount of time and we are taking the first steps on our major home repairs/upgrades/remodeling this next week, which means quite a bit of additional work on our part.  I am excited for the outcome of all of this, but in the meantime, I'm tired!

The children were able to obtain a different summer job than the ones they had hoped for.  They started this past week. They will only be working two days a week but it is a good experience for both of them and has skills that will be transferable to other things easily.  I am very grateful.  

Here are some of the things we did this past week that were frugal:

* We made cinnamon rolls, biscuits, breakfast tacos, sandwiches, beef stew, scalloped potatoes with ham, and several salads at home this week. 

*  The children collected several books they had requested from the library and we all returned several others.

* I picked a bouquet of irises and then a bouquet of peonies and roses for my kitchen table.

* I mended the seam of a zipper and tacked the ends of elastic that had pulled loose on four different items.

* I put several items away that had been laying out for far too long, clearing space in our family room.

* The children mowed the lawn.  We all worked on weeding and pruning.

* My husband replaced a rotting board in the step from the garage. He also did the lawn edging.  

* Our children enjoyed a bonfire at a friend's house - we sent popcorn and fruit pizza to share.  The children had a great time and everyone wore masks and social distanced - playing flashlight tag after dark (rather than regular tag) and sitting in chairs spaced eight feet apart and talked and sang.  Only one person was allowed a the food table at a time and they had to wear gloves.  They made it work and it was a much needed break from not seeing everyone.

* While the children were at their friend's house, my husband and I picked up take out and had an at-home date, sitting on the patio eating and talking.  It was a lovely evening.

* A parishioner gave us a pork roast from their own pigs.  It will be a treat!

I think that's all I can remember for now.  What did you do that was frugal this week?  

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020