Frugal Friday - April 4 to 10, 2020

Homemade face masks.

This week seemed really long to me.  It is Holy Week - the week between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday in the Christian calendar.  This is always a very busy week for the church and for a Pastor and their family. 

This year was no exception. 

John was at work several late nights video recording services for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, as well as Bible Studies and Devotionals.  The children and I had school online and we had some colder than normal weather and a little snow, just to keep things interesting, I guess!  I was very grateful for today to arrive!  I was ready for the weekend on Tuesday this week.

Here is what we did this week that was frugal:

* We made pizza twice this week, two types of soup, roasted vegetables served with rice, grilled cheese sandwiches and fried egg sandwiches, both served with apple and carrot slices, seafood chowder, four loaves of bread, zucchini dessert bars, oatmeal muffins, and scrambled eggs at home this week.

* We used a gift card to order a pizza and served it with salad and sliced apples one night.  Yes, we ate a lot of pizza this week.

* John brought home a jar of real maple syrup from a Parishioner who runs a maple syrup farm.  This is a "Christmas" gift from this person yearly for us.  Delicious!

* I resewed the buttons on my husband's suit jacket and our son's sport coat.

* I could not find a package of Easter cards at the store and purchased a package of blank note cards instead.  They have a beautiful butterfly on the front, so they are appropriate for Easter. I sent Easter cards to our entire immediate family.  We do this yearly and I typically buy cards on sale after Easter the previous year but did not find any last year.  This was only $2.99 for the package of cards plus postage and worked well!

* I used materials we had on hand to sew four cloth face masks for myself and the children to wear.  John already had four from his work in healthcare, so he is using those.  The CDC has recommended that we wear them, so we will.

* John brought home palm branches from Palm Sunday worship last week.  I used them to decorate the top of the piano.

* I put a bag of jelly beans purchased on sale this winter (they are red, yellow, and green color) in the candy dish in preparation for Easter.

* I cleaned out the Easter decorations and gave a set of homemade "Resurrection Eggs" (plastic eggs used to tell the Easter story) to a friend with three small children. We will decorate for Easter on Saturday using decorations we already own and leave the decorations up until Pentecost (May 31) or until I get tired of them, whichever comes first!

* I used materials I had on hand to make Easter Bunny napkin rings for Easter for us and for friends.

* We froze leftover soup for use later.

* I made a list of things I could make our children for their birthday next month.  We cannot go shopping like we normally would due to the Stay-At-Home order and we do not have as much extra money either, so I will be making at least a few homemade gifts.  I started on one of those gifts this week.

* John officiated a funeral service and burial that were streamed online to the family.  He was paid extra for this.  We were very grateful as his paycheck has been cut due to the effects of the Covid-19 virus on our economy. 

* Our children played badminton in the yard one nice day, even though their net was destroyed last year.  They laid a jump rope on the ground as a "net" and played a rousing game.  I will be looking for a net the next time I go to a store that may have one or upon a trip to the second-hand store, when those open back up again.  Another day they played bean bag toss (sometimes called "corn hole") with a set we purchased last year for their birthday. 

* Our daughter has been trying new hairstyles and figured out how to get a crimped hair look without a crimping iron!  That style suits her and she loves it! 

* I mended two sheets that had a rip in them.

* I continued to work on a baby gift for a friend who just had a baby.

* We watched a movie we already owned with popcorn we popped at home for entertainment one night.

* I cleaned leaves out from around the plants that are starting to pop up in the garden - rhubarb, day lilies and lily of the valley.  We also have tulips and daffodils that are coming up as well! 

* I also discovered that my lettuce re-seeded itself from last year and that my blueberry bushes are starting to leaf out!  Hurray - I think spring is on the way! I was grateful for the lettuce as I did not find lettuce seed at the store this past week and I did not have any left from the previous years, as I have in the past. 

What did you do that was frugal this past week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020