Frugal "Friday" - The Last Full Week of April 2020

My vincas are blooming!

This week was full of lovely weather and I spent a lot of time outside in the yard (garden).  I cannot tell you how happy that made me!  It did wonders for my mental health and I am so enjoying spring poking out around the yard.  While Autumn is my favorite season, Spring is a close second and I am trying wholeheartedly to enjoy every second of it!

We are still spending time mostly at home and still not spending much money.  I am grateful!

Here are some things we did this week that were frugal:

* We made meatball soup, chicken divan, grilled weiners and bratwurst which we ate with grilled zucchini and fruit salad, pasta with meatballs and tomato sauce, fajitas made with venison, onions and peppers, and homemade pizza. 

* I also made muffins, scrambled egg "muffins" and cookies this week.

* I mended a hole in the bag of our leaf shredder (like a leaf blower, but it pulls the leaves up and shreds them).

* I spent a LOT of time cleaning out flower beds and laying mulch.  I also spent a lot of time spading compost into my vegetable beds.

* I worked on two birthday gifts for my children and a baby gift.

* Our daughter started sewing the shorts that she wants to make herself for summer. 

* Our children raked the leaves out of the yard.  We have a large tree in the front yard that drops its leaves late and this year they froze to the ground thanks to a cold rain and we did not get them raked last fall.   They enjoyed the time outside.   Between all the yard work, we filled the curbside compost bin (a large-size wheelie garbage-can type bin), our own compost bin and half the garbage can (stumps, a small volunteer tree, etc.).  It was a lot of clean up!

* Our children played "badminton" in the back yard again.   They also played bean bag toss ("corn hole"). 

* John and I made a list of items we need to finish a couple of outdoor projects.  We will pick up the items from the local stores as they go on sale this spring.  We have both a Menards Home Improvement store and a local hardware store that we will frequent.

* I started seeds for bush beans, peas, butternut squash and acorn squash.  These will go in the ground the end of May.

* I planted some old wildflower seeds.  We will see if they come up.

* I sewed a button back on my winter coat and laundered all the winter coats and packed them away for next year.

* Our son and I made a list of summer clothes he needs.  He has grown so much this year that he needs many new items.   We will purchase some on sale and ask for others as birthday gifts.  We will also give him some hand-me-downs from my husband.  Between these, he should be fine for summer.

* Our local library does curb-side pickup for books.  We picked up several books and returned several others via the outdoor drop box.   Our favorite librarian brought our books out to the pick-up table and, knowing how much our son loves to read, included an "extra" book in the series he is reading.  He was so excited!  She stayed just inside the door and watched him collect the books - he jumped and punched the air with his fist and waved thank you.  By her smile, I think it made her day.  I know it made his!

I think that's it for this week.  What did you do that was frugal this past week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020