Super Savings Saturday - $46.46 in two shops this week and our CSA
How long has it been since I've done one of these posts? It feels like forever!
This week I stopped at two shops, harvested produce from our garden and picked up our CSA share - we have SO MUCH food in the house right now. Such a good problem to have, no?
I had hoped to spend less this week but we made salsa and John requested chips to it with and the children are eating enough fruit for an army lately (10lbs or better per week!) so we needed to stock up a bit. We do have a cantaloupe and an avocado from last week in the fruit department but that was it. And that includes the plums and raspberries we received from the CSA. I almost didn't buy the pork loin but John asked me to - we love those pork loins and haven't had one for quite while. We'll try to stretch it for two meals when we do eat it.
Here's the CSA for the week and bit of what we got from our garden:
Back row: Potatoes with Swiss Chard laying on top, Sweet Corn, Parsnips, Celery Greens (I use these for vegetarian soup stock), Zucchini
Middle Row: Red Onion, Green beans, Cucumbers, Garlic
Front Row: Yellow Raspberries, Plums, Broccoli Crowns, Eggplant, Basil
And this was what I picked today from our own garden: Crookneck squash, Sweet peppers, a lone Cucumber, and LOTS of tomatoes (and yes, that is a baby bath from the hospital that they are placed in - I use them for all sorts of things).
I've been picking the yellow pear tomatoes and the purple/red cherry tomatoes every day. We've had so much rain that the yellow pair tomatoes are huge!
Store #1 (sorry, I didn't get a photo)
* 3lbs Red Delicious Apples $2.89
* 3lbs Gala Apples $1.99 (I really should have bought two of these!)
* Tortilla chips 2 @ $1.19 ea = $2.38
* Lemons 2 @ $0.19 = $0.38
* 1lb Brussel Sprouts $.199
Total Store #1: $12.32
* Kellogg's Cereal 2 @ 2/$4 = $4 (store coupon) - we'll use these as snacks.
* Hormel Pork $6.99 (store coupon)
* Fresh Express Salad 2 @ $3.29 (B1G1 store coupon) = $3.29
* 2.86lbs Peaches @ $1.59/lb = $4.55 (this is the lowest price I've seen this year)
* 2.21lbs Pink Lady Apples @ $1.49/lb = $3.29 (same as the peaches)
* 2lb Clementine's $2.99
* 2.79lbs Yellow Bananas @ $0.59/lb = $1.69
* 1 Gallon Kemps Skim Milk $3.79
* 1 Dozen Large Grade A Eggs $3.59
Total Store #2: $34.14
A note about the eggs: Minnesota was hit very hard by the Bird Flu and the Minnesota State Fair does not have any birds this year since most of our farmers had to destroy their flocks. This contributes to the high price of eggs. Usually I can get eggs for between $0.99 and $1.50 a dozen. This price that I paid today is approximately $2 more than what I usually would have paid in the past.
Come back Monday to see what we're eating! And how did you do this week with your shopping?