Super Savings Saturday (or, rather, Sunday) - Our First CSA Box and $21.12 Spent This Week

I guess it's Sunday isn't it? 
It was a VERY busy Saturday for us but I managed to make pizza and bread sticks for dinner and get a bit of grocery shopping done too.   Sometimes it's so hard to get through the weekend without just feeling like I want to crawl into bed and never get out!

Our weekly grocery budget is $40 but to afford our two CSA shares we only have $20 to spend at the store and/or farmer's market each week.  So we're working hard to hold ourselves to that. Last week I spent just over $15 and this week it was just over $21 so our average is still under $20.  For now, I'm okay with that!
So, here is our first CSA box of the year:

 
 
From left to right:  Radishes (back), rhubarb (front), mint, oregano, chives (front), green lettuce (back), broccoli (front), spinach (back), red lettuce (middle) and strawberries (front). 
 
I always forget how sweet the strawberries are fresh from the garden - super yum!  They're almost like eating candy.  The radishes are particularly crisp because of all the rain we've been having.   Until we get through the lettuce and spinach, salads are the name of the game!  We pick up our mostly veggie CSA box on Wednesday and will start picking up our fruit CSA box on Thursday this week. I'm looking forward to seeing what we have in there!


For grocery shopping this week, I went to two stores and bought what you see in the above photo plus a gallon of milk that got put away before the photo was taken.  Here's the price breakdown:

Store #1:
Sunburst tomatoes B1G1 1 pints for $3.99
Hass Avocado $0.99
Artichokes 2 @ 2/$3 = $3
Yoplait Yogurt 10 @ 10/$5 = $5

Total Store #1: $12.98
Savings (according to store receipt) $3.99

Store #2:
Oscar Meyer Wieners 1 @ 2/$3 = $1.50
2.24lb Bananas @ $0.59/lb = $1.32
1.85 Bosc Large Pears @ $0.99/lb = $1.83
1 Gallon skim milk $3.49

Total Store #2: $8.14
Savings (according to store receipt) $3.34

Total Spent: $21.12
Total Saved (according to store receipts): $7.33 (25.8%)

I'm hoping to get some whole milk next week to try to make yogurt at home. My mom did that when I was a child but it wasn't cost effective then, so we'll see about how it works for us now.  My husband, Missy and me all love yogurt and Buddy will eat it in a pinch so I'm hoping that making yogurt will work well and we can go that route in the future!  To that end, one of the containers of yogurt I have sitting in my fridge right now is plain rather than flavored so we can make our own next week.

Come back Monday to see what we're eating!

How did you do with your shopping this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020