Groceries and Menus and Summer Busy-ness - Pantry Challenge June 2013 Week 3

Initially I was so frustrated that this summer was so not turning out the way I wanted it to be!  This last weekend I was laid low with a huge flair up of one of my chronic illnesses - I was in an enormous amount of pain and nothing we did for 3 days helped in the least.

Sunday we went to worship and John preached.  We had several friends there and the folks at the church we were at were so very, very welcoming that I started to perk up a bit.  I still felt terrible, but at least I perked up.

John is in classes 12 hours a day this week, I have until Friday to turn everything (and I mean everything!) in for my degree, and one thing after another, after another, after another has happened on top of all of that.

I decided that my bad attitude needed to run away permanently so I decided to focus on the stuff that I can do - not what I can't.  It's very difficult to concentrate on anything when you're in terrible pain but at least I can concentrate on thing for 10 minute intervals and I can have my children help with things and I can enjoy the beautiful flowers that are finally blooming in my yard!

We had $40 for the rest of the month for groceries and John and I spent a little more than 2/3 of that this weekend for groceries.  I managed to make it to one store and then he hit the other one.   We also got our first CSA box - herbs, radishes, two kinds of lettuce, spinach and rhubarb.  We have plenty of rhubarb from our own garden but this is a different kind so it was fun to have some of that!  Here's a photo of what we got:


Our first trip to the store we did two transactions and got the following:

2 boxes of Capri Sun Fruit Drink (10 ct each) = $4 - $1 - $1 = $2
Clear Value Oyster Crackers: $1.09
2 packages Oscar Meyer Hot Dogs (10ct each) = $0.98 + $1.50 - $1 - $1 = $0.48
Cherries 2lbs @ $2.99/lb = $5.98
Cream of Potato Soup $1.19
Dole Pineapple Chunks 2 @ $0.75 = $1.50 - $0.75 - $0.75 = FREE
Smart Balance Spreadable Butter $1.99 - $1 - $0.99 = FREE
Yoplait Yogurt 10 @ 10/$5 - $0.55 - $0.55 = $3.90
Pillsbury Biscuits  2 @ $1.19 = $2.38 - $1 - $1 = $0.38
Strawberries 2 @ $2 = $4

Total Store #1: $19.02

Here's a photo of what we got in that first trip:


The second trip to the store included:
Grapes 2.13lbs @ $0.99/lb = $2.11
Raspberries 2 pints @ 2/$4 = $4
Ronzoni Garden Delight Pasta 2 @ $0.88 - $1 = $0.76
Lay's Potato Chips 2 @ $1.50 = $3
Pint Grape Tomatoes B1G1 $3.99

Total Store #2 = $13.86

Unfortunately John put away that trip before I could get a photo.  :(

Total for both stores: $32.88
Leaving us just $7.12 for next week.  Fortunately the bulk of our menu for next week has already been purchased so we have just a couple of things to get.   We'll also have another CSA box so that will help stretch our money a bit.  

A couple of notes on what we bought:  the cherries were part of John's Father's Day gift - I normally would never buy fruit for that price!  The chips and drip boxes are for family camping trip we have coming up.  I usually buy the food we need on sale ahead of time as part of our regular food budget as much as I can.  These were really good deals, so I took advantage of them!

Here's what we're eating this week:

Sunday, June 16, Father's Day:
   Breakfast: Cereal and Milk
   Lunch: Chicken, Hot Dogs, Corn, and Fruit (meat and corn from the freezer)
   Snack: Popcorn
   Dinner:  Sandwiches and Fruit

Monday, June 17:
   Breakfast: Toast with Peanut Butter
   Lunch: Leftovers
   Snack: Yogurt
   Dinner: Chicken, Veggie Fried Rice, Fruit  (meat from the freezer)

Tuesday, June 18:
   Breakfast: Toast with Peanut Butter, Strawberries
   Lunch: Leftovers
   Snack: Yogurt
   Dinner: Salad with Crab Meat, Strawberries and Raspberries  (meat from the freezer)

Wednesday, June 19:
   Breakfast: Waffles with Berries
   Lunch: Leftovers
   Snack: Yogurt
   Dinner: Pot Luck at Church: Bring a Tossed Salad

Thursday, June 20:
   Breakfast: Oatmeal with Craisins and Walnuts
   Lunch: Leftovers
   Snack: Yogurt
   Dinner: Cabbage Rolls, Macaroni and Cheese, Strawberry-Pear-Orange Salad

Friday, June 21:
   Breakfast: Oatmeal Muffins, Pears
   Lunch: Leftovers
   Snack: Yogurt
   Dinner: Seafood Chowder, Whole Wheat Biscuits, Strawberry-Pear-Pineapple Salad

Saturday, June 22:
   Breakfast: Cranberry Orange Bread (from the freezer)
   Lunch: Pancakes with Applesauce
   Snack: Popcorn
   Dinner: Homemade Pizza and Bread Sticks

What are you eating this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020