Super Savings "Saturday" - $19.86 Shopping Trip


We had $21 and change left in the grocery envelope this week and I was a bit bummed that things were more expensive than I thought they would be this week. I wanted to buy couscous and rice (we are out of both) and some of the ham and chicken that was on sale but we were also out of potatoes and milk and running low on veggies and fruit.  My daughter has taken a liking to eating a container of yogurt for a snack every day, which is fine with me, and right now it's cheaper to buy some rather than figure out how to make some (yes, I know there are many ways to make yogurt, but I haven't had the chunk of time to try it right now).

So here's what I bought for just under $20 this week:

Store #1:
8lbs Potatoes $2.98
Haas Avocado $0.68
2lb Yellow Onions $1.50
Kemp's Skim Milk 2 Gallons at 2/$6 (coupon) - $0.75 (coupon) = $5.25  ($2.62/gallon)
Smart Balance Butter Spread $2.29 - $0.50 (coupon) = $1.79

Total Spent Store #1: $12.20
Total Saved According to Store Receipt: $3.23 (21%)

Store #2:
2lb Bananas @ $0.59/lb = $1.18
1.23lb Granny Smith Apples @ $1.29/lb = $1.59
1.01lb Brussels Sprouts @ $0.88/lb = $0.89
Yoplait Yogurt 10/$5 (coupon) - $1 (coupon) = $4 ($0.40 each)

Total Spent Store #2: $7.66
Total Saved According to Store Receipt: $5.07 (39%)

Total Spent Both Stores: $19.86
Total Saved According to Store Receipts: $8.30 (29%)

I saw a recipe this weekend for Maple Baked Brussels Sprouts and I was so excited to see them on sale so inexpensive (for here) when I was at the store.  I bought a pound to try the recipe - I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds - I love Brussels Sprouts in any case and so does John. I'm hoping the maple syrup in the coating will encourage the children to try them too.   I'm trying a new bar/cookie recipe, two new to us soup recipes and I'm trying my hand at making candied orange peel this week too.   I'll update you later on how they all turn out.  I've been trying to add a little adventure into our cooking as I'm getting tired of the same old things.  John is still fine with what we've been eating but the children and I would like a little more variety!

Store #2 does double coupons occasionally but I needed to spend a minimum of $25 before coupons and sales and I did not so my coupon didn't double.  That's okay - I stayed in my budget anyway.   We will have $30 next week plus another $10 to stock up with so I will purchase both chicken and ham this next weekend - they are both on sale again then.  I think the couscous and rice will be purchased from the $10 for stock up - we took 3 years to go through the bag of rice I had previously purchased at Sam's Club and I can buy couscous in bulk with similar results as well, though it's more expensive per pound than the rice and we eat more of it than we do rice.  We'll see how that all works out in reality and I'll be certain to update you this next weekend!

Come back Monday to see what we're eating.  How did you do with your shopping this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020