Frugal Friday September 4, 2015

Flowers from our camping trip.
This week has flown by so fast - I guess the last week of summer always does!  I *think* we're actually ready for the first week of school next week.  Hard to believe!  I'm never this ready.  That probably means I've forgotten something important or something like that but I'll take the "Wow! I've got this" feeling I have right now.

It's been a pretty frugal week this week, though I did hire a sitter one morning so I could go to work and get things together there.  That wasn't frugal but necessary.

Here's some of the frugal things we did:

* Blanched and froze both beans and peas.

* Collected seeds from my lettuce and basil for use later.

* I participated in a local parade and John and the children came to watch.  The children brought home a free Frisbee that a group was handing out.  I was also two hours of free entertainment!

* Made and froze zucchini bread again.  We have zucchini coming out of our ears here.

* I made four loaves of French Bread, biscuits, eggplant parmesan, chicken stir fry and stuffed zucchini from scratch this week.

* Shredded and froze zucchini to use in making zucchini bread later this year.

* Picked up our last CSA share of the year - it included watermelon and cantaloupe! YUM!

* Picked lots of yellow pear tomatoes, another crookneck squash, and three large cucumbers.

* My husband and I had an at-home date night watching a movie that I had gotten for a birthday gift back at the beginning of August.  I made individual apple crisps using diced apples from the freezer and other ingredients that we had on hand for a date-night dessert.

* We played UNO and Phase 10 card games for family night this week.

* We used a snow cone maker that my husband received as a gift several years ago and syrups we already had to make snow cones as a treat on an especially hot day we had.

* I froze celery leaves to make soup stock with later.

* Found a package of paper lunch sacks that I'd been looking for.  The children need to take lunch in a disposable sack when they have field trips at school so I put them where I can find them this time!   That saved me buying more.

* Inventoried the fabric that I had bought to make placemats and/or tablecloths in the past to see what I had and decided what I could make without buying anything.  I can make two tablecloths and matching napkins without buying anything.  So I will make those first. 

What did you do this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020