Frugal Friday September 4, 2015
|Flowers from our camping trip.|
It's been a pretty frugal week this week, though I did hire a sitter one morning so I could go to work and get things together there. That wasn't frugal but necessary.
Here's some of the frugal things we did:
* Blanched and froze both beans and peas.
* Collected seeds from my lettuce and basil for use later.
* I participated in a local parade and John and the children came to watch. The children brought home a free Frisbee that a group was handing out. I was also two hours of free entertainment!
* Made and froze zucchini bread again. We have zucchini coming out of our ears here.
* I made four loaves of French Bread, biscuits, eggplant parmesan, chicken stir fry and stuffed zucchini from scratch this week.
* Shredded and froze zucchini to use in making zucchini bread later this year.
* Picked up our last CSA share of the year - it included watermelon and cantaloupe! YUM!
* Picked lots of yellow pear tomatoes, another crookneck squash, and three large cucumbers.
* My husband and I had an at-home date night watching a movie that I had gotten for a birthday gift back at the beginning of August. I made individual apple crisps using diced apples from the freezer and other ingredients that we had on hand for a date-night dessert.
* We played UNO and Phase 10 card games for family night this week.
* We used a snow cone maker that my husband received as a gift several years ago and syrups we already had to make snow cones as a treat on an especially hot day we had.
* I froze celery leaves to make soup stock with later.
* Found a package of paper lunch sacks that I'd been looking for. The children need to take lunch in a disposable sack when they have field trips at school so I put them where I can find them this time! That saved me buying more.
* Inventoried the fabric that I had bought to make placemats and/or tablecloths in the past to see what I had and decided what I could make without buying anything. I can make two tablecloths and matching napkins without buying anything. So I will make those first.
What did you do this week?