Menu Plan Monday and Shopping from this Week - Week of March 9, 2014

Spinach and Green Pepper Quiche from the other week - it turned out yummy!
So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try my hand at making quiche. I've never made quiche before, so it was an experience. It turned out yummy and wasn't as difficult to make as I had anticipated it to be.  I used frozen green peppers to make it a spinach and green pepper quiche instead of just spinach and since John can't eat cheese, I loosely followed a recipe for Quiche Lorraine (which traditionally doesn't have cheese).  It was honestly better the second and third day rather than the first.  I think there was a little too much water in it from the frozen green pepper so I won't use frozen the next time or if I do, I will thaw thoroughly and squeeze out the extra water before I put it in the quiche. 

So, this last week was insane and this one isn't much better - I can't particularly say why because we haven't had much extra other than a couple of birthday parties for the children to attend and a one-day conference for me - but it's just been really seemingly crazy around here.  Maybe it's the weather?  Did I mention we hit 53F today for our high!  People were wearing shorts!  We're supposed to be warmer this whole week and I'm SO excited about that.  It might be that our schedule is completely all over the place too. Who knows?

Anyway, I'll quit rambling....   

John stopped at the grocery store on Saturday while I was at my conference and bought a handful of things: a package of flour tortillas, 4 cans of whole kernel corn and 3 boxes of pasta.  The pasta and the corn were marked down to 88-cents each and the tortillas were $2.89 for 20.  So he spent $9.05 on groceries this week.  I also spent $10 on 20 tulips that were just way to pretty - never mind that I considered them a "sanity" purchase.  I could have gotten by with one bunch, but the two look especially lovely in the blue vase on my kitchen table (I'm hoping to post a photo later this week or next week).  We had some "extra" fruit this week from a friend who wasn't going to eat it before it went bad - strawberries and bananas, yum!  And we had plenty of other fruit left from the previous weeks - oranges and three kinds of apples as well as blueberries - so we were good to go with fruit for the week!  I have a 24oz can of pureed pumpkin that I need to use up so I decided to "go pumpkin" this week too.

Here's our menu for this week:

Sunday, March 9:
    Brunch: Waffles with Powdered Sugar and Bananas
    Snack: Popcorn
    Dinner: Homemade Pizza and Breadsticks

Monday, March 10:
   Breakfast:  Oatmeal with Almonds and Blueberries
   Lunch: Corn Dogs, Tater Tots and Strawberries  (Spring Break Treat for the Children)
   Snack: Yogurt
   Dinner: Scalloped Potatoes with Ham, Tossed Salad, Sliced Apples

Tuesday, March 11:
   Breakfast: Pancakes with Bananas and Blueberries
   Lunch: Chicken Noodle Soup, Matzo Bread, Strawberries
   Snack:Yogurt
   Dinner: At a School Event

Wednesday, March 12:
   Breakfast: Oatmeal Muffins, Bananas
   Lunch: Tortillas with a Rice and Bean Mix (includes corn and tomatoes)
   Snack: Yogurt
   Dinner: At Church (Lenten Dinner before Worship)

Thursday, March 13:
    Breakfast: Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
    Lunch: Tossed Salad with Almonds, Blueberries and Strawberries
    Snack: Yogurt
    Dinner: Turkey and Cheese Quesadillas with Mixed Fruit Salad

Friday, March 14:
    Breakfast: Banana-Strawberry Smoothies
    Lunch: Leftover Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal and Sliced Apples
    Snack: Yogurt
    Dinner: Vegetable Barley Soup in the Crockpot, Biscuits, Mixed Fruit Salad

Saturday, March 15:
   Breakfast: Pumpkin Scones
   Lunch: Tuna Wrap Sandwiches, Sliced Fruit and Veggies
   Snack: Sugar Cookies
   Dinner: Homemade Pizza and Breadsticks
   Date Night Dessert:  Sugar Cookies

What are you eating this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020