Frugal Friday - The First Week of February 2020

More Baklava!  Our son is really enjoying making this!
This week has flown by - whoosh!  SO FAST!  I am not sure why, but it just seemed to go so fast and, suddenly, it is Friday.  Sometimes I think I blink and a day has passed.

We had a relatively frugal week this week.  I did do a little shopping with the last of my Christmas money, purchasing a pair of shoes for work and some fabric to make a vest for our son's dance costume.  After spending 30 months of buying nothing new, when John was in Internship and Residency, spending money feels very expensive and painful, even if necessary. It has been three years since then and I still wince at the price of most retail items!  Often I put things back on the rack - even the clearance rack - because I feel the price is just too high.  I know my feet will thank me when I wear the new shoes and I am pleased that we can have a nice costume for our son.  That makes it worth it!  And, which made me even happier than the new shoes, we spent no money out of our daily budget.

Here are the things we did this week that were frugal:

*  We made pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, chili, breakfast-for-dinner, sesame chicken. salads, an apple crisp and a couple of other meals at home this week.

* John took the car in for routine maintenance, reducing larger maintenance costs later down the line.

* We returned a "lost" library book, avoiding a fine.

* We checked out five books, three audiobooks, an online magazine and one video game from the library this week.

* My mother sent us three homemade baby bibs, one for each of our new nieces.  She sent them with another item she sent to us, and asked us to hand-deliver them for her; saving postage for her. They're cute and I'm glad I got to see them before they were given.

* We spent more time cleaning out and sent more paper grocery bags of items to the local second-hand store.  I am enjoying the clearer space!

* I purchased three dress shirts for $2.50 each for our son at the second-hand store.  Two had original store tags on them and were marked significantly more than the price I paid.

* I used cleaning products on hand to deep clean our back entry way.  It was dirty with all the mess of winter.  It looks so much better now!  Only cost was time and energy.

* While cleaning out the linen closet, I discovered a duvet cover that we had purchased a while back and never used.  Our daughter had been wanting something for a different look in her room, so I offered it to her.  She has been using two older, puffy comforters together and it has made making her bed in the morning more difficult.  We put both comforters in the duvet cover together and she is enjoying both the cover and an easier to make bed!

* I replaced a button on a cardigan sweater and tacked up the hem on a skirt.

* John brought home  8 leftover donuts and 5 Roma tomatoes from different events at church this week.  We ate the donuts for a snack over two days and the Romas have been used in salads and tomato sauce.

What did you do that was frugal this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020