Super Savings Saturday - A $27.73 Out of Pocket Shop

Today's shopping happened in two pieces - one right after I dropped the children off for rehearsal and one after I brought them home.  In between, I came home to drop off the groceries I purchased, ate lunch and ended up falling asleep on the sofa with my book.  Opps!   Either way, it was a frugal shop today. 

John is out of town with work for a couple of days, so I let the children choose what they wanted for dinner both nights and we have a few things in the grocery shop that are not part of our typical shopping.  I am okay with that - we had the cash and did not need a lot of everything else.  So here is what we purchased today:


Store #1:

I rarely shop at this store for groceries since their prices are rarely better on things that we purchase.  I do know their prices on eggs can be better and sometimes their milk can be too. I checked prices as I had several tail-ends of gift cards rattling around in my purse.  This week their prices were better so I stopped in!

The line at this store was ridiculous! I waited in line for almost a full hour to check out  with all the checkout lanes open and the cashiers working as fast as possible to get people through. The cashiers did a wonderful job but the lines of people were almost too much for me.  I highly dislike crowds, which is another reason I rarely shop there for groceries.


1 gallon 1% milk $3.79
18 ct. eggs $1.99
4 cups yogurt 4 @ $0.65 each

Total cost: $8.38
Gift Cards used: $8.31
Total paid: $0.07


Store #2:

This is the store where we typically purchase our groceries.  There were no real stellar deals this week and fruit was particularly high priced.  We are out of everything fruit-wise except a couple cans of mandarin oranges and 3 grapefruit.  Since the children do not like grapefruit, I felt that we needed something else in the house for the children to snack on.  I purchased the least expensive fruit I could find - bananas and a bag of apples.  I am grateful that bananas have not gone up in price recently; though I know we are more expensive than many parts of the US for bananas. 


1 can crushed pineapple $1.49
5 packages Ramen (our daughter LOVES this stuff!) 5/$1
Frozen Meatballs $3.99
2 lb. Carrots $1.99
Large Bag Fresh Spinach $3.99
3 lbs. Braeburn Apples $4.99
2.43 lbs. Bananas $1.43
Garlic Bread $3.49
Frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes $2.99
5 cups Yogurt 5/$2

Total Cost and Total Spent: $27.66

Between the two I spent $27.73 out of pocket this week. 
I had $30 in my grocery budget envelope.  That means we have $2.27 carrying over to next week.

What did you purchase this week?  Any good deals?
Come back Monday to see what we are eating this week!

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020