Frugal Friday - The First Week of November 2019

One of the many quilts I saw this summer at a quilt show in Rochester MN in June.  

I have been going through some photos from the Minnesota Quilters Annual Quilt Show held in June 2019 in Rochester, Minnesota.   I've been doing quite a bit of sewing lately which has been an enjoyable change.  I have many plans for making items going forward and am excited for me to see how things actually play out.

We had a quite week this past week. It was very nice after several weeks of busy, busy, busy, it was a lovely change. 

Here are some things that we did this past week that we count as frugal:

* We made homemade soup, pizza, breakfast tacos, and pasta sauce and garlic bread this week.

* My husband and I each enjoyed one meal at work this week.

* Our daughter won a homemade apple pie at a raffle and we enjoyed apple pie for several days dessert and/or snack.

* I hemmed the pants for our son's concert tuxedo.  The school had recommended a seamstress that charged $10 to hem the pants.  It took me about 30 minutes to complete, including having my son try on the pants and marking the desired length.  I prefer hemming our son's pants with a double hem, since he is still noticeably and actively growing.  This allows me to let the hem down as he grows.

* I baked cookies for us to enjoy as a snack.

* I sewed a baby quilt using items I already had on hand as a gift for a friend who has a baby due soon.

* Several years ago, I purchased the items to make carrying/storage cases for our formal china dinnerware and silverware.  I completed that project his week too, providing better and safer storage for our fancy dishes.

* Our daughter wanted to dye her hair pink and opted to use her own money and purchase a color-depositing shampoo rather than having it formally dyed.  Her hair has a lovely pink tint and she really likes it.  Not bad for $9 bottle of shampoo!  Additional bonus, it will wash out once she stops using the shampoo.

* I did all of our ironing this week.  Not my favorite chore but it saves us a fair amount of money each week.

* We deep cleaned the kitchen and the bathroom this week - both needed it!  I am always amazed at how nice the rooms look after that is done!

* We donated our "old" table, purchased at a an auction 13 years ago, to a second-hand shop and set up the dining table that belonged to my Grandparents.  A dear friend refinished it for us at a radical discount.  I am so excited to be able to use the table and I know Grandma would be pleased.  This is the last piece of furniture that my Grandparents purchased together before my Grandfather passed away at the age of 45.  The chairs were sold off, broken or lost over time but we have chairs that will work for now and I will be on the lookout for new chairs secondhand.  The table is very sturdy and will last us hopefully the rest of our lives as well.

* We continue to enjoy ripening tomatoes, harvested before the last frost.  We are ripening them inside in a paper bag.

* I am continuing to work on homemade Christmas presents and other gifts.

What did you do this week that is frugal?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020