Frugal Friday - Week 25 of 52 - Mid-June 2018

Roses, iris and peonies.  I'm loving my flowers!
Happy mid-to-end of June!  I'm so excited that we're heading into full blown summer here - the garden is growing and the flowers are blooming and the weather is starting to heat up.  We were super hot for here (over 90F) a few weeks ago and then cooled off to more normal temperatures (right around 75-80F) and now we're starting to creep up - which is exactly what we should be doing!  The sun is peeking out today after a week's long absence and I'm planning on enjoying some time working in the garden. 

We have had a lot of rain lately and the garden is growing like mad. Tomatoes are starting to set and so are the bell peppers and the bean and peas are starting too.  I am thinking that by the end of next week we'll have radishes - those are late since I planted the seeds late.  We are still harvesting lettuce and rhubarb. 

I feel like we didn't do much in the way of frugality this week, though I think it was more than I first thought.  Here are some of the things that we did:

* We used a sale to purchase a needed swimsuit for our daughter- the three pieces of the suit (top, bottom and rash guard) ended up costing what one of those pieces would normally have cost, saving us quite a bit of money.

* We packed and enjoyed a "picnic" lunch on Father's Day instead of going out to eat.  We did end up eating indoors as it was raining outside but that was just fine.

* We harvested lettuce and rhubarb from the yard and collected our CSA share, which included asparagus, spinach, Swiss chard, radishes, strawberries, garlic scapes, cilantro, dill and basil. 

* I froze apricots and strawberries for later use.

* I pulled 7 gallon buckets of weeds from the garden and laid mulch where I had weeded to reduce the weed growth.

* I darned a favorite pair of socks for our son. 

* We renewed library books online to save a trip to the library and downloaded two library books to listen to on the audiobook app that our library uses.

* A friend treated my husband to lunch in exchange for rides to and from work while he is recovering from medical treatment.  He works just a few blocks away from my husband so it is an easy thing to do and my husband is enjoying the extra time with his friend.

* I attended a very interesting lecture through work and was treated to a free lunch with that.

* I staked tomato and pepper plants using supplies I already owned and transplanted volunteer tomatoes to new spaces in the garden, where they will have more sunshine and space to grow. 

* I cut the last of the peonies and some midnight pincushions to put on the kitchen table.

* We packed lunches for work each day.  I am hoping to do some more prep ahead for that this summer so that we have plenty of lunches for when school starts back up again in the fall.  Now that our children are older, leftovers often do not exist and having something planned ahead would be very helpful!

* My husband and I had an at-home date night, grilling chicken, asparagus and corn on the cob and eating a leisurely meal while the children were elsewhere.   

What did you do this week that was frugal?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020