Frugal Friday - Mid June Already!


One last photo from my Dad - I promise I'll load some new ones this weekend!

Man, I'm having a hard time understanding that it's really mid-June and that Father's Day is this weekend. 

The children made John presents at camp this week so we'll be giving him those and my Dad mailed four pairs of trousers that didn't fit anymore but are in really nice condition so I shamelessly wrapped those up and will give them to John for the holiday.  Since he asked for new trousers for his gift, that was perfect.  My Dad lost a lot of weight a few years ago when he was undergoing chemotherapy for cancer and bought these trousers then.  They don't fit him anymore (my Dad is a large man - tall, broad and strong even at 84 years old) but they will fit my husband now (John is the same height as my Dad but not quite as broad).  I did buy John a nice, card to go with all that.

We're very busy with summer session for me, summer camp for the children, and John's residency still in full swing while doing pulpit supply (filling in for Pastors who are on vacation) and interviewing for First Call.  We did do a few things in and around all of that though that may possibly be counted as frugal!

Here's some of those things from the last week:

* Our daughter used the popsicle molds we already owned to make popsicles using water and lemonade mix that we already owned.  Delicious!  And perfect for the hot weather we've been having.

* I made buttermilk biscuits, rhubarb crisp and rhubarb cake this week.  We also made smoothies using yogurt bought in large containers and berries from the freezer.

* We brought home leftover rhubarb cake after coffee hour at church on Sunday and chopped tomatoes and two unopened bags of tortilla chips from Wednesday night supper at church too. I used some of the tortilla chips to make veggie nachos one afternoon for the children and me for a snack.

* The local Lion's Club sponsored a free movie in the park on a giant screen on Saturday night last week.  We attended, bringing lawn chairs and water bottles.  They were selling popcorn for 25-cents a bag so we let the children buy some.  It was a fun and delicious night out and we got to see a movie we wanted to see for only 50-cents total!   There will be a few others this summer - about every two weeks and we intend to take advantage of that!   They hold the movie in the hockey arena if the weather is poor.

* I picked flowers from my yard to decorate our kitchen table and to share with our secretary at work.

* We donated several things we are not going to use and returned some flower pots to church for use in their plant sale next year.

* Our daughter wore a costume that we already owned to a costume contest at camp this week. 

* I had a $10 credit at my acupuncturist's office and I used it to buy some lavender essential oils this week with the little bit leftover going toward my co-pay.

* I had some time to kill between events and stopped to run an errand.  I decided to browse the super-clearance clothing racks and found myself a nice pair of slacks for $4.  They were super long and need to be hemmed but that's an easy fix.  I was thrilled - I have only one pair of slacks I can wear to work and they're looking pretty worse for wear!  Now I can retire them without having to worry about having a pair of slacks for work. 

* Our daughter and I started making some items for her birthday party, which we will hold in July this year.  I hope to do a post on it in early August.

* Our son made invitations for his birthday party, also to be held in July, and sent them out in the mail this week.  

One frugal fail this week:

We were 3/4 of the way to a local state park when I realized that my year-long pass was sitting on the kitchen table at home.  So I had to pay for a day pass.  Money well spent - we had a great time!  And I know that the parks can use the money so I don't consider wasted.  Just kicked myself a bit for forgetting to put the pass on the car!   Not sure that's really a fail, is it?

How did you do this last week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020