Super Savings Saturday - The Rest of our January Budget

Well, things didn't quite go as planned and I spent the rest of the January $80 budget today.  I had hoped to leave another $5-$10 for next week but laundry detergent was on sale and I didn't want to miss that since we really need it (I have a long story about making homemade laundry detergent and really, really, really messing up our 60 year old, really tiny cast-iron plumbing so I buy liquid detergent rather than make my own).  And unfortunately laundry detergent isn't cheap!

Here's what we got at, well, Cub Foods (since that's on the apple bag).  Right now that's the only option for us for groceries that doesn't require driving out of our way:



Yoplait Yogurt 6 @ $0.50 = $3
Canned Corn 4 @ $0.50 = $2
Bacon $3.99
Pepperoni $2.39
Oil $2.50
Milk $3.49
Apples 5lbs @ $1.49/lb = $7.45
Bananas 2.5lbs @ $0.67 = $1.68
Era Laundry Detergent $5.99 - $1.50 coupon = $4.49
Tomatoes 1 dry pint $2.50

Total: $33.93  (including $0.44 in sales tax)
I misplaced the receipt so I can't tell you how much I "saved". 

Before I went shopping today I did a price per ounce comparison with the individual yogurt tubs and the 32oz containers that are usually cheaper to buy.  In this case, the individual cups were cheaper - I figured out the magic price is $0.66/cup for the individual cups being cheaper per ounce.   My daughter was thrilled!

My husband was quite upset that we didn't get carrots or celery this week (they were expensive this week here!) so he may use some of his Christmas money to buy those this week.  If he does I will let you know.  If not, I may take an additional $10 to buy carrots, celery and more apples next week.  We'll see!  I'd really like to leave that money to go toward the debt repayment that we need to do.

Come back Monday to see what we're eating!

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 3, 2020