Frugal Friday on a Saturday

 
Isn't this beautiful?   This is my rhododendron that is right outside my kitchen window.   This year it is making my absurdly happy.   The last two years it bloomed and then we had a hard freeze so I didn't get to enjoy it.  It's kind of on it's last legs now, but I have definitely been enjoying it all week this week!

 
The other thing that's making my happy  - daffodils!  So pretty!  Too bad they're out of my line of sight from the house.  That just means I have to go outside to see them.
 
I also have dwarf irises in both light blue and dark purple that are budding out and the lilacs should be blooming in another week or two.  The rhubarb should be ready for harvest next week.  I guess spring is officially here!
 
So, I it's been a while since I posted about Frugal Friday - partly because we have been super busy around here and partly because I just haven't felt like I had much to post.  Looking back at my journal, I think I'm wrong!
Here are some of the things from the last few weeks:
 
Hosted house guests from overseas and made dinner for them using what we had on hand.  I made homemade hamburger buns and will definitely be making them again - though I will not have them rise overnight in the fridge this time.  They turned out just fine but they didn't rise quite right because of being in the fridge even though the recipe said they would.
 
 
Bought a frame on discount to hang a cross-stitch I had done several years ago in our bathroom.  I washed and ironed the stitching and then hung the picture.
 
I sewed buttons back on several items and hemmed a pair of pants for my husband.
 
I used a coupon to order sandals for the children this summer and bought myself a pair of sandals on clearance sale.  None of us had any sandals at all and while they aren't strictly necessary they will make summer much more enjoyable for us!
 
We had a leak in the two back tires on our van so we took it in.  Since they had a manufacturer's defect they were replaced for free!  Whoot!
 
Used a free shuttle bus to attend a meeting - saved the cost of bus fare or parking!
 
My husband was given a gerbera daisy by a parishioner - it's done a lovely job of being a centerpiece on our kitchen table.
 
We were gifted a pair of crystal candle holders from a friend who was moving - they are also a lovely addition to our centerpiece on our kitchen table!
 
My husband brought home leftovers after a church event - lots of fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheese, and a large bouquet of flowers.
 
A friend gave me cuttings from two houseplants - I just had to bring pots, which I already had.
 
The friend who gave us the candle holders also gave us a box of envelopes, two books of Forever stamps, and several books of piano music.
 
Three of my winter sweaters that I wear for work in the winter are basically worn out now, at least to the point where I can't wear them for work..  I purchased one new sweater for myself on clearance sale for $5.
 
My daughter made a card using typing paper and her craft supplies to mail to a friend who is in the hospital with pneumonia.  (The friend is doing much better and has since come home.)  She did a lovely job and her friend was very touched by the card that she made.
 
The children had a church event that required costumes.  They made costumes using what we had in the costume box and in their closets.  They turned out great!
 
We brought home a 2-liter bottle of pop and six oatmeal cookies from the children's piano recital.
 
I taught a couple of extra Jazzercise classes and earned some extra money.
 
We took advantage of the free large and hazardous item recycling through the county and recycled our CFL light bulbs, some partial cans of hazardous materials (mineral spirits, etc.), a few other things that have been sitting in our garage for years and used their mass cross-cut shredder to shred our documents that needed shredding.  Usually these things cost money but twice a year we can do this for free. They also take old appliances, large furniture (sofas, mattresses, etc.) and things like tires and building supplies.  Anything that can be used again goes to the county re-use-it store where it's available for purchase.
 
Checked out many books, videos and books on CD from the library.
 
 
Baked bread, pancakes and waffles both to eat and to freeze for later, biscuits, cornbread, pizza and breadsticks, 12 cupcakes and cake as well as a couple types of soup from scratch. My daughter decorated the cake.
 
We also took lunches to work and school daily and stocked a few things in our pantry.
 
What have you done lately that's frugal?
 
 

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020