Menu Plan Monday and a Little Shopping


Our CSA boxes have looked pretty much like this the last two weeks - though in varying amounts and this last week we got green onions too.  Here we have in the front row: Broccoli, raspberries, green & purple beans, and peas.  Back Row: Lettuce, cucumbers, cauliflower, a mutant cross between a zucchini and a patty pan squash, green and purple kohlrabi and a clove of garlic.  We'll see what we get this week!  I blanched and froze the peas since we have a ton of those and we can't seem to eat through them fast enough.  I have a whole head of cabbage leftover from a few weeks ago in the crisper drawer too.  Two weeks ago we got 5lbs of cherries - they're all gone now (I was hoping to freeze some) having been eaten by my parents and my children!  I can't eat cherries so I was okay with that!

I went to the store this weekend with a gift card and spend $22 on milk, peaches, apples, carrots (those aren't ready yet in the garden) and some frozen meatballs that were on killer sale.  We spent another $1 and a few cents on a large bunch of bananas marked 38-cents/lb at a gas station this week!  They were pretty green so we're hoping they make it most of the week (bananas seem to age a TON in our house!).

We've got 2 more weeks of this phase of internship left then one off and then into our placement for the next year of internship.  We're excited to see what this transition holds!  My parents went back home early due to some medical issues my Mom was having - if you have a minute can you please say a prayer or three for her? Thanks.  So that means we're back to just the four of us.  I'm hoping to eat mostly from the pantry and the freezers as well as the CSAs for this month.  I will be buying some things this weekend to make some freezer meals for a family whose husband and father is waiting for organ transplant.  I think that's going to be grocery money well spent!
I sat down yesterday afternoon and put together the menu for the next three weeks, assuming we get what we're expecting in our CSA boxes!  So here's this week:

Sunday, August 3, 2014:
   Breakfast: Cereal and Milk
   Lunch: Salad with Peaches
   Snack: Crackers
   Dinner: Homemade Pizza

Monday, August 4, 2014:
   Breakfast: Cereal and Milk
   Lunch: PB&J, Peaches, Sliced Veggies
   Snack: Popcorn
   Dinner: Veggie Stir Fry, Rice, Sliced Apples

Tuesday, August 5, 2014:
    Breakfast: Pancakes with Almonds and Peaches
    Lunch: Calzones
    Snack: Cookies
    Dinner: Couscous with Roasted Squash and Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Apple-Peach-Banana Salad

Wednesday, August 6, 2014:
    Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs, Toast
    Lunch: Chicken Noodle Soup, Bread, Apples
    Snack: Cookies
    Dinner: Pot Luck at Church: Bring Cole Slaw

Thursday, August 7, 2014:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal Muffins, Bananas
    Lunch: Apples with Peanut Butter, Sliced Veggies
    Snack: Cookies
    Dinner: Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Waffles with Sliced Peaches or Nectarines

Friday, August 8, 2014: Our 16th Wedding Anniversary
    Breakfast: Leftover Waffles
    Lunch: Tuna Lettuce Wraps, Sliced Veggies and Apples
    Snack: Cookies
    Dinner: Out for Mom and Dad, Chicken Nuggets and Sliced Veggies Fruit for the Children

Saturday, August 9, 2014:
    Breakfast: Cranberry Lemon Scones
    Lunch: At a Church Function
    Snack: Popcorn
    Dinner: Homemade Pizza and Breadsticks

We are so blessed to have an incredibly stuffed refrigerator right now with all the veggies we've gotten through our CSA - I've been eating salads with lunch just about every day and John and has been taking them to work for lunch as well.  I'm starting to run low on white flour but I have plenty of whole wheat flour so we've had wheat bread and wheat biscuits rather than white.  The children like those, just not as much as some white bread types, so that's been fine!  I will be doing a mix of white and wheat flour for the waffles and pancakes this week.

John and I are celebrating our 16th Wedding Anniversary this week and are planning on using a gift card to eat a nice dinner out someplace.  If we can't find a sitter in our price range, we'll go to breakfast instead (also with a gift card) during the time the children are at Vacation Bible School in the morning.  I'm so amazed that it's been 16 years since we were married and even more amazed that we've been a couple for 21 years!  I don't feel like I'm that old.  I also had a birthday last week (as did my mother-in-law and one of our nephews!).  I'm hoping to do a post on that later this week!

What are you eating this week?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020