Goals - What do they really look like anyway?

As you've probably guessed from this blog, I'm very much a goals-oriented person. I make incessant to-do lists. I have daily, monthly, and yearly goals.  I love to have a very strict schedule.  I love to know what's going to happen next. 

What trips me up is that I always have more on my lists than time or my health or the general craziness of life will account for. 

Always.

It doesn't seem to matter if there is anything single thing on my do list more than sleep, eat and bathe and I will not complete it in some way, shape or form! 

Friday night, I had two baskets of laundry sitting in my living room waiting to be folded.  The same two baskets that had migrated from the laundry room to our bed, to the living room, back to our bed, to perching precariously on top of the hampers in our room, back to our bed and were back to the living room over the previous 4 days.  Buddy had dug underwear out of the baskets twice because there is none in the underwear basket in his closet.

Yes, bad mom me. 

I've been taking a hard, hard look at what goals and success in reaching them looks like to me over the last month.

Friday night, success meant having a wonderful date night out with John while we had an opportunity for free child care rather than worry about the laundry being in the drawers and closets rather than the baskets.

Today, success means completing my two tasks for work and my 1 task for school and being home in time to attend a movie night at a friends' house.  They are going through some tough times right now and asked us to come over so they have an opportunity to snuggle with some littles (who aren't so little anymore) and just enjoy life for a few hours.  I'm thinking of bringing along a lovely bouquet of the irises growing in my backyard as well right now.

Relationships are something that my head and heart have always told me are important but my actions didn't always match.  I do okay with my kiddos because they badger me when they don't get enough of me.  John and other people tend not to do that.  So, I take time for my to-do list instead.  I've been working on turning my to-do lists to relationship focused goals rather than strict tasks.  And it certainly has been helping!

I'm working really hard at not beating myself up when I don't get my to-do list done. It's almost impossible some days, but I am making progress. And that is really what this journey of life is all about isn't it?


Figuring our what goals and the success of reaching them really looks like for you.  So that you can hit your goals every time and enjoy all the little things along the way.

What do goals look like for you? 

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020