Frugal Friday - Financially Worth It?

These last two weeks have been completely crazy and I have become more resolved than ever to find myself more time.  Time is what I want to gain, not money.  Really.  

Yet I keep thinking that it would be nice if I could have both.

And I think I can.

Simplifying is definitely the way to go - all the way around.  And it will (and does) save me both time and money.  Both in the short term and the long run.

I was having a conversation with a friend a couple of weeks ago about money and time.  She orders her groceries through an online delivery service and has babysitters at her beck and call all the time now that her husband is working and not in school.  She routinely buys takeout and uses those come make a certain number of freezer meals in one shot and then eat for a month (or how ever long) places.

She was talking about the cost of these things and I said, "Wow. That sounds like a lot of money."

Her response:  "It is SO worth it for me!"

I guess that's what it really is about, isn't it?  Is it financially worth it to you personally to pay for grocery delivery, or diaper service, or disposable diapers over cloth, or premade meals or whatever the case may be.

For me it's worth it to pay for higher end clothes, shoes, cars, luggage and household items (appliances and furniture).  I'd rather pay for someone to fix my drywall and change my oil than do it myself (and trust me, you don't want me handling power tools!).  I am perfectly happy picking up my own groceries and cooking at home.  I am perfectly happy to 'juggle' childcare with my husband, our daycare provider for our primary needs and then occasionally take advantage of a "Parent's Night Out" at church rather than paying for additional babysitters.

In some cases doing what seems more expense really isn't - a friend with three children in diapers found that a diaper service was more cost effective both in time and money than buying disposables or washing her own cloth; another friend picks up groceries for a relative in exchange for emergency baby sitting when needed; and another own a very fancy (and expensive) snow blower which his teenage son then uses to blow the neighbors driveways for a small fee.  These aren't the things I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the stuff that you know is more expensive but you do it anyway for another reason.

My friend is also trying to achieve tenure and working like mad to get it.  Having tenure is very important to her and her family. Therefore, it is the primary goal she's working toward. For me, I'd rather not have tenure and spend a little more time on my family and my health.  Having job security is great, but I'd rather have the time. 

That's the beauty for frugality. 

You pick what is means and doesn't mean for you and do what is best for you and your family.

For me that's being truly frugal!

For more Frugal Friday check out Life As Mom!

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020