Healthy Habits in 2010 - Slowly Getting Back on Track

So, now that this broken toe thing is getting healed - I have about 2 weeks before I can wear 'regular' shoes and get back to exercising - I'm slowly starting to get back on track with exercising.

I dropped the majority of my snacking when I broke the toe, thinking that would help me cut calories and not gain weight.  I'm not sure it worked in terms of cutting calories - I'm wondering if I ate more at meal times due to cutting out the snacks.  However, I think I did break the mindless eating habit for the most part. 

Last week, I started back to doing Jazzercise.  I thought about doing no-impact, but I enjoy the music so much I wasn't sure I could keep it no-impact as class went on.  So, I decided to Jazz in a chair!  We've had others do that before (after foot surgery), so I decided I would try it.   My butt hurt from sitting (and moving a bit) after class and I realized that I have to work at good posture during the kicks (I tended to slouch and lean).  Other than that, it seemed to work.  And I did get a bit of a workout.  I'm able to do the whole 'floor' section - weights, targeted abdominals and stretching - so that part is fine.  The best part? The stress knots that build up in my shoulders when I get stressed out were gone! I love that!

Now, I just have to come up with something for at least 3 other days during the week, since I can't attend class any other day during the week except the two days I work as a class coordinator.  I have some tapes and DVDs and I'm thinking of doing those at home first thing when I get up (530am).  I'm also breaking out my pedometer again - it's gotten awful dusty!  Hopefully I won't be too pathetic with the steps to begin with and can take a brisk walk around campus on my Monday, Wednesday and Friday, even if it's just for 15 minutes. 

John kindly offered to go for a walk with me (and the kids) when I get home.  I declined since I won't be getting home until after dark most nights.  We don't have sidewalks and the park near our house with the nice walking paths isn't necessarily safe at night.  Maybe we'll have to turn on some music and dance or something like that instead!

I'm hoping with my busy schedule this fall I won't be able to snack as much (it's hard to type with food in your hand!).  I also know that being on my feet for an extra 2 1/2 hours three times a week will add steps to my pedometer count!  I like that.   I just have to remember to walk around the classroom as I teach! :)

I'm glad to be getting back into the swing of things, even if it isn't exactly what I'd like. 

How are you doing? Care to share?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020