Work Home and Family - Making the Time


Last week I wrote about priorities and how having a "top 10" list plus a mission statement has helped me in setting up my new schedule.


But what good are priorities if we don't take the time to act on them?


That has been a continual struggle for me my entire life and I assume it will continue to be for at least quite a while yet, if not for the rest of my life. There are so many things that I would like to do, so many things that would be nice to do, and so many things that seem urgent that need to be done. If I do those things, instead of what really is important, then I lose the time for what is important.


Last year at a Scrapbook retreat, I had someone wonder if I ever slept since I made my own bread instead of buying it at the store. Then someone else chimed in and asked if there was anything I don't do.


Yes, I do sleep. :)

And Yes, there are a LOT of things I don't do.


What are some of those things I don't do?


I rarely go out with anyone except my husband.

We don't go out with friends - we have them over or go to coffee instead.

I rarely go to the movies (I've been to one in the last 2 years!).

I don't knit, crochet, decorate cakes, or make gourmet dinners.

I don't watch TV most days of the week at all.

I don't sew anything that requires button holes. :)

I don't get my nails done or get facials.

I don't participate on committees that aren't required for work or school enrollment anymore.

I don't sign up for long-term volunteer commitments anymore either.

I don't do anything involving power tools.

We don't tackle home-improvement projects that require more sophisticated than a rather wimpy cordless drill and can be completed in a couple of hours.

I don't use a cell phone (though I do own a pre-paid on for travel and emergencies).

I don't twitter, facebook, text or IM.


Guess what?

Since I've chosen to not do or have those things, I have time to bake bread, read with my kids and get about 7 1/2 hours of sleep a night! I realized many years ago that my husband's health (he's on a very low-salt diet) was more important than the time it took to bake bread. I also realized that I don't even like most of what's on TV and I don't like going 'out' with friends - no matter how much I like the friends!


More recently God has convicted me of putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak. That means doing what I say is important to me, rather than being hypocritical and doing something else instead. I have a long way to go at making that a reality, but I'm making progress and getting there!


What are you priorities? And what have you given up to make them a reality?

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 17, 2021

Menu Plan Monday - Week of January 10, 2021

Frugal Things - The Month of December 2020